I came across this Questions For Freelancers from Trapped in the Office and decided to post my answers here.
1. Where are you the most productive? Do you sit at a desk or in another part of your house? Do you work better in the coffee shop or the park?
The most productive? In terms of ideas (of blogging and design), it could be from anywhere; when I am in the bathroom, blog hopping, watch TV, etc. However, I work better in my own working table. Not in the bedroom, Starbucks, or other place.
2. Do you use a laptop or desktop computer?
I use desktop since few months ago. I used to work on my almost-4-years-old Acer laptop but it’s old enough to accommodate the need of my graphic work. I’m glad that I’m working on a 19″ lcd with a-not-so-bad specifications now.
3. Do you keep a set schedule? Do you only work between certain times? Or when you feel like it?
Most of the time I work base on the schedule, 9am to 5pm as if I’m working in a corporate world, except that I can take a break in the afternoon by watching Singapore drama on TV. I feel more organize in that way.
Sometimes the creative juice refuses to flow during day time but night time, no matter how hard I work on it. In that case, I’ll put aside any interesting movie on TV and sit in front of my computer doing my design work. But, I could only stay up to 12 o’clock and this brain will go numb. Not a night person eh?
However, sometimes I get ‘lost’ in the middle of doing research for design and I end up surfing for digital signage or blog hopping. I suppose it’s a gimme-a-break time.
4. What are 5 things you must have in order to do your job effectively? What can’t you live without? It can be anything from your desk chair to a computer program.
2. A cup of water on my table
3. Adobe Illustrator
4. A comfy mouse, not so big and not so small
5. Fan or air-con
5. How many hours per week do you work online?
Work online = average 3 – 5 hours / day. But when I realized that I’ve used too much (it is time-based connection and the price is sky-high), I will cut down my online hour to 2 hours per day or less than that. Overall I work (online & offline) for 8 hours per day. Most of the time I work during the weekend, so it would be average 50 hours per week or less. I don’t really count.
6. Do you listen to music or television while working or do you like the quiet?
Depends. When I write, I need a quiet environment. Try to talk with me or with other people in the same room with me, I’ll ask you to zip your mouth. When it comes to design, I’ll plug-in earphone and listen to my favorite songs. But sometimes, I don’t need that. Moods talks~!
7. Do you have time for a life outside of writing or has it overtaken your life? Are you Trapped in the Office?
Writing and design almost overtaken my life. I hardly go out during the weekday except for breakfast or to the nearest Bank and atm. But I still have a little time to watch TV, play mini game, go out with friends or family on Sunday.
To other freelancers out there, what are your answers to the above questions?